Ghana among countries with Global teaching license system – NTC

Ghana Teacher Prize

Dr Christian Addae Poku, the Registrar of the National Teaching Council (NTC) says Ghana is among the four African countries whose teaching license systems match international standards and can be compared to that of the United Kingdom (UK).


In an interview with Adom News, he said Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria and Zimbabwe are the countries in Africa with international teacher license systems adding that a delegation from the UK has come to access Ghana’s license system.

Amid the license system valuation, Christian Addae Poku said teachers in the country after being certified or issued the National Teaching Council (NTC) teaching license with their respective licenses qualify to teach in the United Kingdom.

In related news, the African Federation of Teaching Regulatory Authorities (AFTRA) has confirmed that the license card issued to all in-service teachers by the National Teaching Council can be used to teach in and outside the country.

Dr Evelyn Oduro, National Teaching Council (NTC) Executive Secretary and representative at AFTRA said that her outfit’s card can be used outside only if all professional requirements are met and the person is in good standing. 

“Per the regulations, the card can be used adding that a written confirmation is needed to validate if all professional requirements are met and the person is in good standing,” the Executive Secretary said in an email


NTC’s teacher license card recognition comes after the Registrar of the Teaching Council, Dr Christian Addai Poku in a television discussion monitored by stressed teachers being issued the card can teach not only in Ghana.

“You can teach outside Ghana with the NTC teacher license card, we have an affiliation with the African Federation of Teachers, so they know of our license and are willing to accept Ghanaian license,” the Teaching Council official stated.

Explaining more about teaching outside Ghana with the license card, the Registrar of Council said an NTC licensed teacher who wants to teach outside Ghana will submit the pin on the card to the employer for confirmation.

“So if you go to Canada and want to teach, you just give them your teacher license card and they will log in to the NTC portal with your PIN on the card and know everything about you,” Dr Christian Addae Poku stated.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *